Are you skeptical about taking CBD gummies? Find out how long they take to work and how long they last with this complete guide. One of the very first things to consider after finding an organic, GMP-certified, third party laboratory tested CBD product is, how strong is it? Determining the right potency to purchase for your CBD gummies or CBD oil is an important factor in identifying the right CBD product for you because strength will determine
How Long Does it Take for CBD Gummies to Work and How Long Do They Last?
Home » Blog » How Long Does it Take for CBD Gummies to Work and How Long Do They Last?
CBD has made a grand entrance onto the scene in recent years considering its many health benefits, but it’s still relatively new. With products on the market including full spectrum CBD, broad spectrum CBD, CBD isolate, CBD tincture, and most recently, CBD oil gummies, the research is continuing to grow in a positive direction. Naturally, if you’re someone that loves gummies and wants to enter the CBD space, you might have a few questions:
- How long for CBD gummies to kick in?
- When and how often should I take them?
- How long do CBD gummies last?
- Will it stay in my system for long?
- And maybe even, do CBD gummies work at all?
There are many factors to consider, and your questions may not have the perfectly straightforward answer you’d like-your body chemistry is unlike anyone else’s. But that doesn’t mean you can’t equip yourself with the proper knowledge to understand how CBD edible gummies work and what to expect.
- Gummies are a type of ingested edible that has to move through the digestive system before taking effect; this means they typically take longer to start working but longer to wear off, too.
- Several factors impact how long it takes before your CBD gummy kicks in, including body weight, metabolism, and recent meals.
- CBD doesn’t provide the same “high” feeling as THC, so it may be hard to tell precisely when it starts working. Be patient, and up your dosage as needed.
How Long Does CBD Gummies Take to Work?
CBD is a hemp plant extract associated with many benefits, such as enhanced muscle recovery, increased relaxation, improved pain management. There are many ways to use CBD products, with different absorption times for each method. No matter how you consume your CBD content, the active ingredients eventually make their way into the bloodstream-it’s only a matter of time (literally):
- Edibles – CBD oil gummies are a type of edible, just like CBD oil-infused brownies or lollipops and lozenges. There is a difference, however, in how you consume the CBD edible:
- Ingested – Chewable edibles can take longer to come into effect. They have to go all the way through the digestive system, into the liver (where the CBD concentration is somewhat reduced by the liver’s enzymes ), before finally entering the bloodstream and subsequently taking effect. This process can span 30, 60, and even 90+ minutes, depending on other factors.
- Absorbed sublingually – Lollipops, gum, and lozenges are edibles that you don’t swallow. Instead, they take a much shorter path to the bloodstream: through the mucus membranes in your mouth, specifically through the blood vessels under your tongue. This direct route typically allows the CBD product to produce results quicker.
- Tinctures – CBD oil tincture is often administered sublingually-under the tongue-as well. You can also choose to swallow it, but this roundabout route will take longer, as with edibles.
- Topical creams – This localized method of absorption is for acute aches and pains in certain body parts. The skin receptors usually have a low absorption rate, so creams can take up to an hour and a half for peak effectiveness and should be used abundantly.
- CBD vape pen or pre-rolls – Inhalation is another speedy delivery method, because the CBD concentration goes straight into the lungs, which have a direct line to the bloodstream. You may feel the effects as soon as a few minutes later.
Different CBD products, from topical CBD to CBD edibles and CBD gummies, can be used in different ways and therefore, work differently. So, how long does it take for CBD gummies to work, specifically? Generally speaking, taking your CBD gummy about one hour before you want the effects to kick in is a safe bet. However, you may notice the impact a little sooner. It typically comes down to the user.
Additionally, the exact time frame depends on a few factors (plus a couple of unknown variables):
- Empty or full stomach – Your CBD gummy has to be fully digested and absorbed before you’ll notice any benefits. If your stomach is full of non-CBD foods, the digestive system must work harder and longer before it breaks everything down. On an empty stomach, however, your CBD gummy is the only thing to dissolve.
- Metabolism – Your metabolism is a set of invaluable bodily processes, including converting food to proteins, acids, carbohydrates, and energy for your cells to function. In this case, your CBD gummy is one of the many things that your body breaks down. With a faster metabolism, you’ll more quickly absorb the CBD properties of your edible.
- Body composition – Your body is full of variable factors that can influence how you process and absorb CBD extract. This includes:
- Bodyweight and mass – Heavier people often require more CBD extract to feel the same effects. In turn, it takes longer to process this higher CBD concentration.
- Habitual medications – Certain prescription drugs can alter the speed with which your body digests substances, CBD infused gummies included.
- Digestive enzymes – Gastric enzymes are responsible for breaking down the food you ingest, which helps your body absorb the nutrients. Their speed and efficiency may be affected by certain stimuli, such as high stress.
It’s hard to give a precise answer about how long gummies take to start working with so many factors to consider. Your friend may feel the effects after only 30 minutes, while you don’t notice a thing until almost two hours later.
Over time, you’ll start to notice what your “average” looks like and how some of these variables might increase or decrease that typical absorption speed.
Important note : CBD doesn’t provide the same “high” or “stoned” feeling as THC, so it can be a little tougher to determine exactly when the effects kick in. You may be wondering, “ How many CBD gummies should I eat? ”. If you’re still not sure whether it’s working after several hours, you may want to consider upping your dosage next time around-remember to start small and build up slowly to avoid any potential side effects.
Also, should you have any concerns, it’s wise to consult your doctor prior to adding CBD into your wellness routine.
How Long Does CBD Gummies Last?
Your body is a complex, unique organism. The same factors that affect your CBD gummies’ onset will also affect the duration of experienced benefits.
Again, it’s different for everyone, but here are a few noticeable variables that may impact how long you get to enjoy your gummies:
- Body composition & exercise – CBD is a fat-soluble compound, meaning we store a portion of it in our fat cells. It takes longer for people with a higher percentage of body fat to flush their system completely. Intense, fat-burning exercise may expedite the process.
- Metabolism – Your metabolism affects both how long a CBD gummy will last and how long it takes to kick in, in a similar but somewhat inverse way:
- If your metabolism works quickly , you’ll likely feel the effects sooner, but they’ll be more short-lived. Your body will flush the CBD out of your system faster—early onset, earlier fade out.
- If you have a slower metabolism, your body needs more time to process and break down the components. The CBD might take longer to come into effect but also longer to go out of effect.
How Long Will CBD Last in My System?
Even after the effects have worn off, the CBD may still be in your system. The same is true of many substances that you ingest.
This is because of CBD’s half-life. All substances and compounds have a unique half-life, which is the time it takes for the body to eliminate half of the initial concentration. Researchers and scientists have not yet been able to nail down the exact half-life of CBD, but estimates hover around a day or more-some say 18-32 hours, others claim one or two days.
Let’s say, for argument’s sake, that CBD’s half-life is 24 hours. Here’s what would happen in your body after a single dose of 100 mg CBD product:
- Immediately upon consumption: 100 mg
- 24 hours after consumption: 50 mg
- 48 hours after consumption: 25 mg
- 72 hours after consumption: 12.5 mg
- And so on, at this same rate
There’s no definitive answer, but a lot of sources point to the same approximate conclusion: CBD likely remains in your system for about five days or more, in decreasing concentrations. Does CBD show up on a drug test?
When Should I Take My CBD Gummies?
As you can probably guess, there’s no one-time-fits-all recommendation for CBD users. Some CBD users pop in a few each morning; others take their CBD gummies a couple of hours before bedtime-this depends on how long it takes for them to kick in, how long they last, and, in part, on why you’re using CBD in the first place:
- Energy and focus – If CBD helps you feel rejuvenated and in high spirits, a gummy or two first thing in the morning will set you up for a good day. If you feel the effects start to wear off midday, you may want to split your dosage half-and-half between the morning and afternoon for a consistent, prolonged result. Taking it too late in the day may, however, result in overstimulation at bedtime.
- Restful nighttime sleep – If you become drowsy and relaxed with CBD, ingest your gummies a couple of hours before you intend to sleep. Two hours should be enough time, but if you find the effects work quickly on you, take them closer to bedtime. The CBD should be out of your system by morning, giving you a good night’s sleep without any morning-after grogginess.
- Aches and strains – As a top tier athlete who needs to soothe their aching muscles while on the go, try taking your CBD gummies spread throughout the day for more consistent relief. If you feel especially roused or restless, take them earlier rather than later.
Find Your Rhythm with Resilience CBD
Everyone’s different. On the one hand, individuality and uniqueness are wonderful; on the other, it makes it a little bit harder to decide when to take your CBD gummies.
This guide can help you make informed decisions about when to schedule your daily doses, but it’s all a matter of trial and error at the end of the day.
Luckily, Resilience CBD gummies come in an easy-to-portion 10 mg concentration that you can take with you wherever. With such convenience, you can pop one in one of our company’s gummies on your way to a stressful meeting, after some hardcore endurance training at the gym, or when you get on the train at the end of a long day.
If it works for you, then it works!
Written by: Michael Tatz | Linkedin
Michael Tatz is the Co-Founder of Resilience CBD, and a passionate leader in the health & fitness world helping others rise to and crush their wildest goals. A former Division 1 college wrestler, Army Officer, and investment manager at Goldman Sachs, he has pushed his body and mind to the limits on the mats, dressed in camo, and in the boardroom.
Today, he spends his time leading Resilience CBD to develop the absolute best recovery products for athletes everywhere. Resilience was founded after CBD personally impacted Michael’s life, and the brand was built to partner with everyday athletes in pursuit of conquering their most difficult challenges, rebounding after their toughest performances, and rising to their goals that once seemed impossible.
What Are The Benefits of High Potency CBD Oil?
One of the very first things to consider after finding an organic, GMP-certified, third party laboratory tested CBD product is, how strong is it?
Determining the right potency to purchase for your CBD gummies or CBD oil is an important factor in identifying the right CBD product for you because strength will determine the price as well as the strength of the therapeutic effect. However, just because you see a product that has a high potency of CBD, doesn’t mean you should take it at face value.
This guide will take a deep dive into what high potency CBD is, the benefits of high potency CBD oil, the downsides of high potency CBD oil, who should buy high potency CBD oil, and include recommendations of our favorite high potency CBD products.
What is high potency CBD?
High Potency CBD contains high concentrations (over 3,000MG) of the cannabinoid, cannabidiol (CBD). However, potency is a bit more nuanced than just a high number listed on a CBD oil bottle. In order to take a closer look at what high potency CBD is, let’s break down the two factors that determine potency: CBD strength and CBD extract type.
When it comes to CBD, the term potency is really referencing strength. The strength of the CBD in any given CBD product is commonly displayed on the front label, shown as a number followed by the miligram (MG) unit of measurement, for example: 12,000MG CBD oil.
Standard CBD oils come in strengths from 500MG-3,000MG, with high potencies of up to 15,000MG (or more!). If you see an incredibly inflated number, like an 80,000MG CBD oil marked at a low price, it probably isn’t CBD. Check out our article on Amazon’s Fake CBD oil to learn more about this marking up tactic.
CBD extract type
A factor that has a profound effect on the potency of a CBD product is the extract type. The 3 most popular CBD extract types are: full spectrum CBD, broad spectrum CBD, and isolate CBD. Cannabinoids are the natural plant components that make up the hemp plant: CBD, CBG, CBN, THC (under .3%), and over 100 more. CBD is the most widely popularized cannabinoid, but it isn’t the only cannabinoid. The reason why extract type affects the potency of a CBD product is because each extract naturally contains more or less cannabinoids.
- Full Spectrum CBD: This extract type is the most cannabinoid-rich, with the full spectrum of hemp’s natural cannabinoid content completely intact. This whole-plant extract is known for creating the entourage effect, a term coined by scientists for how plant molecules interact and bump up the functioning of each other for maximum benefit. For this reason, this extract could be seen as the most potent, as most experts agree that CBD on its own is going to be less effective overall than a full spectrum product containing the same amount of CBD.
- Broad Spectrum CBD: This extract type is cannabinoid-rich like full spectrum CBD, but has the THC removed. However, this type of CBD is still seen as potent and capable of the entourage effect. It’s a great option for those who are not a fan of the cannabinoid THC for work related or sensitivity purposes.
- CBD Isolate: CBD isolate only contains the cannabinoid, CBD. This extract can offer a high dose of CBD, but doesn’t offer a full plant, holistic approach to hemp and is not capable of the entourage effect. Though this extract can be bought in high concentrations, it is debatable whether it can truly offer the potency and effect of a full spectrum or broad spectrum product that offers all of hemp’s cannabinoids.
What is considered a high potency dose of CBD?
By general standards, a 25MG dose of CBD in one sitting can be considered a high potency CBD dose. However, CBD is known to affect each person differently, due to its unique interaction with our body’s endocannabinoid system. For example, one may experience a deeply therapeutic effect with as little as 5MG of full spectrum CBD, while others may not feel anything.
For this reason, we recommend that each person start first with a low dose of CBD to track how they feel. For more personalized dosing recommendations, check out our comprehensive CBD dosage guide created by Dr. Thomas Macsay before diving into a high potency CBD dosage.
What are the benefits of high potency CBD oil?
More bang for your buck
Buying a CBD oil with a higher CBD content might cost more in the moment, but can save you money in the long run. With a high potency CBD oil, you’ll need a smaller dose, less often because a little will go a much longer way. If you’re someone who uses CBD frequently, a high potency CBD oil can help you to spend less money per dose and you won’t have to reorder as frequently.
Ability to scale to severity
A high potency CBD oil gives you the opportunity to significantly boost your CBD dosage. As many people come to CBD with varying issues of discomfort, high potency CBD oil allows for individuals to scale their dosage in order to meet their needs. For example, a person experiencing a high degree of pain would need to take a few dropper fulls of 500MG CBD oil, whereas simply ¼ of a dropper of a 5000MG high potency CBD oil would do the trick.
Potency meets quality
A common concern we hear from our customers is that they’re nervous to try a high potency CBD oil because they worry that a higher potency full spectrum CBD oil means a higher natural THC content. There are legal limits in place on THC allowance, and all CBD products must contain under the legal limit of .3% THC. Therefore, you can always trust that our high potency CBD products will indeed contain more CBD, but still stay true to legal limits of under .3% THC.
Be sure to view the lab results on any high potency CBD product you purchase in order to confirm the product is high potency and low in THC content. As a note, all Neurogan lab results are available for every product in the listing, log-in to view. Additionally, check-out broad-spectrum CBD oil if you experience THC sensitivity.
What are the downsides to high potency CBD oil?
We wouldn’t be being honest if we only focused on the positive aspects of high potency CBD. As with any medicinal herb, irresponsible use or the investment in a cheap product can lead to the following downsides:
We wish we could say that all high potency CBD oil is created equally, but it’s definitely not. Early last year, we performed independent laboratory testing on CBD oils listed with strengths of up to 80,000MG and were disheartened to find that many CBD oils are falsely marketed. This leads us to wonder, what else is not being listed when it comes to these products?
Unfortunately, there aren’t any legitimate laws or rules in place when it comes to CBD, which means that if you go shopping for CBD without doing your homework, you risk coming into contact with pesticides, chemical fertilizer, and heavy metal contaminants. If the CBD is a concentrated high potency, non-regulated product, we can’t help but wonder what other nasty components might also be highly concentrated, too.
With high potency CBD oils, comes the higher risk of CBD overdose. But to be clear, it’s highly unlikely that one would overdose on cannabis or CBD products. In fact, no more than a handful of people die every year with high levels of cannabis in their system.
With that being said there are certain signs and symptoms that some might consider symptomatic of an overdose, or better yet, an adverse reaction to CBD. The symptoms one may experience include dry mouth, vomiting, decreased appetite, low blood pressure, and diarrhea. However, if you’re already taking a larger dose and feeling comfortable, then you shouldn’t be at risk for an overdose.
Who should buy high potency CBD oil?
High potency CBD oil is not intended for first time CBD oil users. High potency CBD is intended for those experiencing a great level of discomfort, or those whom are familiar with CBD and ready to raise their dose. High potency CBD oil offers a strengthened effect of CBD’s best benefits:
- A soothing sense of calm & relaxation
- Mental comfort & mood improvement
- Positive support for a natural sleep cycle
- Relief from joint & muscle pain
Our 3 Favorite High Potency CBD Products
1. High Potency CBD Gummies (25MG-45MG)
CBD gummy squares have become our best-selling CBD product; with 7 fruity flavors, 3 strengths, and your choice of broad spectrum or full spectrum CBD. By purchasing either our 25MG or 45MG CBD gummy squares, you’re choosing high potency CBD gummies ready to pack a punch. 25MG suits those looking for strength in their dose, and 45MG is intended for those with prior CBD experience looking for a greater potency in their daily CBD intake. Effects kick-in after 30-90 minutes and last for a total of up to 7 hours.
2. High Potency CBD Softgels (2400MG)
Gel capsules are perfect for those who want a dose of high potency CBD, but aren’t fond of the taste of CBD. Gel capsules are 100% vegan and organic, contain the CBD extract of your choice, broad spectrum or full spectrum, and are suspended in an MCT carrier oil for maximum bioavailability and absorption. Capsules are great for everyday use, long-lasting and slow-released for up to 7 hours of relief.
3. High Potency CBD Oil (3,000-12,000MG)
With our wide selection of full spectrum and broad spectrum CBD oils, there’s no doubt you can find the perfect high potency CBD oil for you. Choose the best strength for your needs: 3,000MG,4,000MG, 5,000MG, 8,000MG, or 12,000MG. CBD oil is meant to be taken sublingually so it sets in quick, providing relief within 10-20 minutes of ingestion and lasting for up to 6 hours. These CBD oils are so strong that we do not recommend them for first time CBD users. If you feel that you’re ready for a high potency CBD oil, start with a lower high-potency CBD oil and work your way up rather than purchasing one that is too strong. These CBD oils are so potent that we do not recommend them for first time CBD users and strongly encourage you to shake the bottle well before ingesting.
High potency CBD products offer greater strength and therapeutic effects than other CBD products, making them a great option for those with CBD experience under their belt. Neurogan proudly produces the highest CBD oil strengths on the market with outdoor grown hemp,third party laboratory test results available on every product, and a 30-day satisfaction guarantee to make sure you find the right CBD product for you.
Don’t miss your chance to save! Shop our SPRING PRICE DROP on our high potency CBD oils.
Please reach out to us with all of your questions and we’ll be happy to speak with you.